Monday, March 06, 2006

City by the Bay

So different from Texas. Born there but got here as fast as I could. Lush, hilly, full of small mom and pop restaurants, as opposed to our vast flatness. Two things that occurred seem stereotypical of the city.

1 am with loud man yelling "let me in this is brokeback mountain," and random wail from the street. Where was the play "Rent" set again?

Second, the liberal female taxi driver who told me about City of Lights bookstore and stated that wearing a veil makes me an object. Why? Because I don't fit in? Or because I acknowlege that I am a woman? Does that make one an object? I find it funny that liberals are so open-minded that they cannot possibly be open-minded. Is there no such thing as moderation? I walked over to City of Lights on the day I was leaving in hopes of finding the book "Feast of Roses." The bookstore did not have the book. The cashier recommended a book. Of course it was about oppression and the Vietnam War. One thing is for certain, in my "old age," I know exactly what I want and why I want it (Not that anyone could guess that when I have a menu in front of me at a restaurant). No danger of being a liberal here.

Oh, I said two things, but there was one more stereotypical thing that happened. A Church of Scientology guy tried to convert me. He was very dissatisfied with my answer that currently I am not troubled with anything in life. That's not to say life is not a struggle. But indeed the universe unfurls as it should and my goals are concrete. How to explain a lifetime of beliefs in 30 seconds or less? I guess having a belief or a solid opinion precludes one from being a liberal. Thank goodness I live in Texas where everyone wears their WWJD charms and my soul is mine "to condemn" as I see fit. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home